Thursday, December 08, 2005

Obligatory Grammy Rant

Ah, the Grammy’s were announced this morning, an annual celebration of all that is bland, homogeneous and uninteresting. Mariah Carey? John Legend? Gwen Stefani? Is this music really that good to be so lauded? Do people really want glorified elevator music? Something to sit in comfortably in the background? I hate to admit it, but I just don’t get it.

However, that being said, I have no problem with the Alternative Music Album nominees. In fact, I own all five of these releases. Arcade Fire, Beck, Death Cab For Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, and White Stripes all make a nice list of potential winners. I think Arcade Fire should win since, while the other four are good albums, they are not the best albums by these artists. Get Behind Me Satan isn’t as good as White Blood Cells or Elephant. I might be more experimental and the band might have stretched creatively, but they haven’t completely succeeded. Same with Death Cab and Beck. I love both Plans and Guero, but I really loved Transatlanticism and Sea Change. And Franz Ferdinand are in the oh-so-obvious sophomore slump.

But, of course, all five of these releases trump the Album of the Year category. And don’t get me started on Record of the Year. Do people really still listen to Mariah Carey? Why did she come back? I liked her better when she was crazy and not making music. And why pick one of the worst songs on American Idiot? Was "Jesus of Suburbia" too long to command the attention of those who make these decisions? At least they picked the only good song on the new Gorilla’s album. "Feel Good, Inc." should win but probably won’t.

At least the artists nominated for best New Artist allow us to see who will be slipping of the radar shortly. Hey, Ciara, Fall Out Boy, Keane, John Legend, and Sugarland (who the hell is Sugarland? Am I that out of the mainstream?)!!! Remember Evanescence, Hootie & the Blowfish and Milli Vanilli? Yeah, they all thought they were built to last, too.

I love the Metal category. It is a long way from Jethro Tull. None of these bands are safe for network television. I would love to see Alain Jorgensen get up on stage and accept the award for "The Great Satan." Kill for a thrill, indeed.

I’m sure I have plenty of other opinions about the Grammy’s but you either love ‘em or hate ‘em in my experience, so I just don’t bother watching them anymore. Once upon a time it was sort of a job requirement. Now it is just a depressing indictment of the music industry. Why is the industry losing so much money? Illegal downloads? Nah, it probably has more to do with putting out too many crappy albums.

So, with that off my chest, here are my iPod’s nominees for the last ten songs played:

1. "Highwire Days" by the Psychedelic Furs
2. "Hot Freaks" (live) by Guided by Voices
3. "Jesus Christ Pose" by Soundgarden
4. "Step Right Up" by Tom Waits
5. "That’s Not The Issue" by Wilco
6. "The Drive-By" by Ice Cube
7. "Clay Cakes" by Portastatic
8. "Credit in the Straight World" by Hole
9. "Long Time Jerk" by the Clash
10. "Hand of God" by Soundgarden

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home