Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I Have No Idea What I’m Doing

I hate year-end lists. I know, I just posted my "Top Ten of 2006," but each year when I create this list, I am riddled with self-doubt and a sense of failure. I always feel like I rush the choices and always have a nagging sense that I have forgotten some major releases simply because they came out at the beginning of the year and aren’t currently on the top of my playstack. And then comes the inevitable question of whether I can change or amend my list without invalidating the whole selection and any credibility I might have (as if anyone is reading this).

I started doing a year-end list as part of "A Circle Of Friends" compiled by Eggbert Records founder, Greg Dwinnell, who has since passed on. Greg would collect lists from all kinds of friends and celebrities and they would be published in Yeah Yeah Yeah. Over the years the list included contributions from Elvis Costello, Aimee Mann, Michael Penn, John Easdale, and me. It was an interesting effort.

So, of course, since I have a blog, I feel it is my duty to continue compiling a yearly list. But as soon as I have clicked "Publish," my mind starts racing and suddenly I think of a half dozen albums that should’ve, would’ve, could’ve been included.

So, a couple of albums I might have missed include:

I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass by Yo La Tengo. I cannot say enough good things about this record. Finest effort since I Can Feel The Heart Beating As One.

Post-War by M. Ward. I had never paid too much attention to M. Ward before picking up this release on a whim. I cannot believe what I have been missing. Great songwriting, great vocals, and an amazing guitar player.

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys. Their debut album, which came out in February, is a great album. Don’t believe the hype, believe the music. Great British pop.

Moon by Robert Pollard. I have always had some Pollard release on my list for the past ten years, but I was trying to avoid being too obvious. Plus I think I had From a Compound Eye on my 2005 list since I had an advance copy months in, well, advance. But included with the release of his second solo album in 2006, Normal Happiness, was the live album Moon. This was one of the shows opening for Pearl Jam and the set smokes. This album is outstanding simply for the life it gives already great selections from Normal Happiness and From a Compound Eye. But even better is the amazing version of the GBV staple "Game of Pricks." Find a copy today and listen on repeat.

Of course, if I add a release, I have to remove something, which would probably be the new Flaming Lips. No offense, but it is their weakest effort since Clouds Taste Metallic and was probably more of a comfort choice that a heartfelt choice. But I’ve said enough.

Listen to my iPod:

1. "I Awake" by Soundgarden
2. "Dragon" (Icelandic) by the Sugarcubes
3. "My Sentimental Melody" by the Magnetic Fields
4. "Father & Daughter" by Paul Simon
5. "Your Cover’s Blown" by Belle & Sebastian
6. "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by the Darkness
7. "Sunglasses After Dark" by the Cramps
8. "Pagan Lovesong" by Virgin Prunes
9. "History Repeating" by Propellerheads
10. "Leaves That Are Green" by Simon & Garfunkel

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found you after you posted on popcandy, seems we have some similar tastes in bands. I didn't even hear of 'Moon', but I've been out of the GbV loop since the last show I caught, final Austin show at Stubbs with Tobin opening. Game of pricks is a song for all time, such a perfect pop song, put it next to Time Machines as two of my live favs of Bob.

In the meantime, my top 2006 list:
http://fak3r.com/noise

I'll be back.

fak3r

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home