Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Thought Bubbles

I know I am a tad behind the curve, but I have just starting paying attention to M. Ward. I picked up a copy of his latest, Post-War, at Amoeba a couple of weeks ago and have not been able to stop listening to it. I look forward to exploring his other releases.

If you are a Public Image Ltd. Fan and are still sorely disappointed by This Is What You Want, This Is What You Get, you can download Commerical Zone from Press Random. These are the demos featuring Keith Levene before his falling out with Lydon. These are far superior to the final product.

I ordered Life Less Lived: The Gothic Box. I’m looking forward to it. I have already read complaints about the scope of the selections and it is kind of a strange collection, but it is not so much a definitive gothic collection as much as a mix tape made by a goth fan. That seems to be the only way to explain it. Instead of focusing on a very narrow genre of music, the box explores what goths (what we used to call "death rockers") listened to back in the olden times. As with any collection, there are omissions, but it cannot contain everything and sometimes licensing can be a bitch. However, it does cover a broad swath of music from the obvious (Joy Division and Bauhaus) to the curious (Ministry and Flesh for Lulu) to the dubious (AFI).

I’m enjoying the new Yo La Tengo a bunch. I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass is a great and fun album. After Summer Sun, I was kind of trying to remember what I liked about the band, then IANAOYAIWBYA came out and I remembered. All is fine with the world. Check it out. You won’t be disappointed.

Other things of note:

I’ve never watched Rockstar: Supernova, or Rockstar: INXS for that matter, and I am proud.

You know things have gotten strange when Perry Farrell and Nuno Bettencourt form a band.

Watch Gene Simmon’s Family Jewels. I have hated Gene Simmons for a couple of decades for being such a pompous ass (even though I worshipped him in my elementary school days). But watching his kids and Shannon Tweed take the piss out of him and seeing that he is helpless without them makes me forgive him for years of bad music and stupid interviews.

That’s it for now.

Let’s check in with my iPod.

1. "Jellikit" by Primus
2. "The Long and Winding Road" by the Beatles
3. "I Feel Like Going Home" by Yo La Tengo
4. "Heaven’s Gate" by the Keene Brothers
5. "I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You)" by Hank Williams
6. "I’m Not Angry" by Elvis Costello
7. "Pioneers" by Bloc Party
8. "Darker My Love" by T.S.O.L.
9. "Can’t Hardly Wait" by the Replacements
10. "Margaret vs. Pauline" by Neko Case

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home