Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Foo For Thought

I don't know what I am doing with this blog, but I figured I should say something since I posted a comment on the OC Register's site about Desert Jeff's contention that Dave Grohl "has become arguably as big a cultural icon as his former band mate Kurt Cobain."

This was my response.

While I am a big fan of Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl going back to the days when he scrawled Chaka on his drums, it is a bit silly to claim he "has become arguably as big a cultural icon as his former band mate Kurt Cobain." He might be as big of a star and might even become a bigger star, but "cultural icons" have to be a bit harder to come by or such a designation would lose all meaning. Nobody is going to look back upon the release of any Foo Fighters' album as a revolutionary or revelatory breakthrough similar to the release of "Nevermind." You can argue that Nirvana was simply in the right place at the right time, but their second album upset a whole industry destroying careers and forging a cultural path that Dave Grohl is simply enjoying. Once again, I love Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl so I'm not trying to diminish his contributions to popular culture, but Foo Fighters is just one of many bands that have walked through the door Nirvana kicked down.

Anyway, since I crawled out from under a rock to say something somewhere else I figured I might as well post a post.

And here are the last ten songs from my iPod:

1. "Via Chicago" by Wilco
2. "Vastopol" by fIREHOSE
3. "Yesterday's News" by Whiskeytown
4. "Cherries" by Brendan Benson
5. "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" by the Monkees
6. "Girl U Want" by Soundgarden
7. "Old Devil Moon" by Frank Sinatra
8. "How Low Can A Punk Get" by Bad Brains
9. "The Loved Ones" by Elvis Costello
10. "I'm Always In Love" by Jeff Tweedy (solo at "Letters for Santa Benefit"

Talk to you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home